1/2 medium onion, chopped
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% milk (or ff half-&-half)
2 cups chicken broth
8 ounces (1/2 bag) frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup shredded carrots
salt and pepper
8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Secret Ingredient: 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Saute the onion in 1 Tbsp butter until onions are soft. Set aside in small bowl.
- Using a wire whisk, heat the remaining 4 Tbsp butter until melted and add the flour in a large pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk; continue stirring with whisk. Add the chicken broth, whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes. (whisk every 2 min or so to prevent burning the bottom.)
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and sauteed onion. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- By now the soup should be thickened. Let cool for 3-4 minutes, then pour into a blender and puree.
- Return the puree to the pot and place over low heat. Add the Velveeta and grated cheddar and stir until well blended and melted. Stir in the nutmeg.
I throw in some frozen Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits to dip and crumble in the soup. Yummers!