Last week, I thought it would be a great idea to volunteer to make soccer ball cookies for the last game of my son's soccer season. I've never made anything that boggled my mind so much. Pentagons and hexagons, spheres and circles....what was I thinking?! I've spent many nights and weekends getting to know these kids, watching them play, and visiting with fellow soccer parents. It's a good thing I like them so much, since these cutie-patootie cookies were a lot of work! They went quickly once I figured all the shapes out. Well worth it, and much deserved, for sure.
I needed a hard-ish sugar cookie I could make a 6" diameter circle from that wouldn't fall apart. I used Wilton's Roll-Out Cookie recipe, as follows:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon no-color almond extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Makes: About 3 dozen cookies.