About Me

My photo
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I'm a stay-at-home mother of 2 who loves to bake rich desserts, create healthy dinners, and create homemade crafts. I'm always Hungry for the Homemade! Take some recipes, make them your own, and let me know how it goes.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

A fun baking project for the kids and I to do together, and what's more enchanting than cupcakes in all colors?! I'll add some flavorings next time to make lime, lemon, orange, raspberry and.....blue? flavored cakes. Eating only one could become a much bigger problem for me!

I mixed a Betty Crocker White cake mix, 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup oil, and 1-1/4 cups water. Dividing this between 5 small plastic cups was about the perfect amount of batter/cup ratio. I let the kids color their own, even though I REALLY wanted to do this myself. The kids had a great time, and the colors turned out nicer than I expected. 

I use silicone cupcake forms because I'm always out of paper liners, but this worked out well to show of the colors of the cupcakes after they were frosted. Bake at 350 deg. for about 16-18 minutes, not too brown and not doughy. 
I wanted a fluffy and extra creamy frosting, so this is my little concoction.


Easy Fluffy Vanilla Frosting:
3/4 cup Marshmallow Creme Fluff
6 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 can Classic Vanilla Frosting
  • Mix the first 3 ingredients on high for about 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the whole can of frosting and continue to mix on med-high for 2 minutes.
  • Place in a ziploc or frosting bag. (I'm a fan of Wilton disposable bags, strong and easy to pop any tip in there.) I used the 1M tip from Wilton, a larger star tip that makes beautiful cupcake tops. You'll have enough to frost about 30 cupcakes. 

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if you added the cool aid packets if it would give you the color and flavor you want? Just a thought. Let me know if you try it. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Jenny!! It's now a favorite and I'll be trying several recipes! Great job, chicky!!

    ReplyDelete