About Me

My photo
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I'm a stay-at-home mother of 2 who loves to bake rich desserts, create healthy dinners, and create homemade crafts. I'm always Hungry for the Homemade! Take some recipes, make them your own, and let me know how it goes.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Some Flower Pretties

I've fallen in love with these little rosettes and flowers popping up everywhere. As I stared at the little girl in front of me at church (pardon my ogling, little one!), I figured out how they were made and couldn't wait to try! This morning I made all of these in less than 45 minutes, and probably will get faster as I make more. All my supplies were CHEAP, which is also why I love these little gems. 
  • Satin-y, thin fabric, $2.99/yard, 1/8 yard of each color = $.26 cents to make 20 or so flowers! 
  • Alligator clips and barrettes, 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby = $3.99 for 45 clips.
  • Misc. gems, pearls or buttons, free from my leftover stash.
Putting them on clips, they can go on headbands, sweaters, belts, shoes....OH the possibilities. The baby doll made a great model for infant headbands made from nylon tights with the flower pretties.


 Here is how you make them:


  • Trace a flower-shaped cookie cutter, or free-hand if you are so talented, 2 or 3 times onto a silky lightweight material. Chiffon, satin, lining all work well. Trace circles, getting a tiny bit smaller with each one. Approx.4-5. (I found using a pasta portioner, 1-2-4-6 serving holes, the one I never use, to work fantastically)
  • Cut shapes out and VERY CAREFULLY singe the edges. This happens fast, try not to burn the fabric like I did the first few tries.
Using a tea light to carefully curl and singe the edges.




  • Some hot glue to hold it together and put on a clip. Done! I'm terrible at giving directions, so if anyone has questions, please ask!
To make the cabbage rosettes, make several sizes of circles. I made 5, from about 3/4"-1. Stack them together, sew or glue through the center. 
                              

1 comment: