About Me

My photo
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I'm a stay-at-home mother of 2 who loves to bake rich desserts, create healthy dinners, and create homemade crafts. I'm always Hungry for the Homemade! Take some recipes, make them your own, and let me know how it goes.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Berry Galore Muffins using greek yogurt

I love taking a classic favorite and changing it around to be even more tasty and healthy. I started with a blueberry-sour cream muffin recipe, then substituted triple berries and Greek yogurt in place of the blueberries and sour cream, and honey in place of sugar. Greek Yogurt has 2x the protein and 1/2 the sugar of regular yogurt, and using the non-fat yogurt in place of sour cream saves fat calories, too! Honey raises the blood sugar more slowly, is sweeter so you use less, and has minerals and antioxidants. Pretty sweet! 

Berry Galore Muffins
2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups fresh or frozen triple berry mixture (I love the bag of Costco frozen triple berries).
2 eggs, slightly beaten (I used Egg Beaters)
1 cup plain 0% Greek Yogurt (I used Chiobani)
3/4 cup honey (or 1 cup sugar, just decrease the baking soda to 1/2 tsp. and bake @350.)
6 Tbsp. butter, melted, cooled slightly
2 Tbsp. sugar
  • Heat oven to 325 deg. Grease the bottoms of 16 muffin cups or line with paper liners. 
  • Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; mix well. Stir in berries
  • Combine remaining ingredients except 2 Tbsp. sugar in another medium bowl; mix well. 
  • Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix until just moistened. Divide evenly between muffin cups. Cups will be full. Optional: sprinkle tops with 2Tbsp sugar.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to wire rack. Enjoy warm or cooled.

1 comment:

  1. Uh, YUM!!! Too bad I'm taking off in the next few otherwise my KitchenAid would be SMOKIN' right now!

    ReplyDelete